Wedding Planning Tips

Dress Shopping
 Our centerpieces
El Chorro, our wedding venue

Since our wedding is quickly approaching (7 weeks away!), I thought I'd share a few planning tips. And in the mean time, does anyone have valuable advice of their own to share?

Here are the things I wish someone would've told me:
1. If something's important to you, make sure to interview a few vendors or go to a few different stores before making a final decision. I knew that I wanted a wonderful photographer, organized wedding planner, and an outdoor venue. We interviewed three photographers and planners and went to three different venues. I was so glad to have choices, if I had just gone with the first ones I probably wouldn't have known the difference, but now I have no regrets and am confident I have the right people and place for our big day.

2. If you love something, don't hesitate to book it ASAP. Well known vendors and venues book up really quickly, some a year or two in advance. So when you know what you want, DO NOT wait.

3. Don't be afraid to ask for help. We decided to hire a day of planner, which means she mostly just helps on the actual wedding day and creates a timeline, makes sure everyone is where they need to be, etc. Although this may not be an option for everyone, it has taken so much weight off of my shoulders. Just knowing she will be there makes me feel better about not stressing out all day. For a while though, I didn't really ask for her help. I tried to do it all on my own and then realized that that's what she was there for, to help me. Whether it's your mother, friend, or a planner, don't be afraid to delegate tasks or ask for ideas, I have found that people jump on the chance to help out.

4. Include your fiancé. I know some girls who have all of their own ideas and want it to be all about them, but I really feel like this day is all about US. Although Christian doesn't have much of an opinion about the details if I don't ask, I have come to find out that he really does have preferences and things that he would love to have there as well. I have been more than happy to include these things and get his opinion on the details because I want him to be comfortable and just as happy with the day as I am. It's been so much fun for us to choose colors together, taste the cake, tour venues, and discover new things about each other along the way.

5. Don't plan a full day of dress shopping. You guys, it is so exhausting. I was lucky and found my dress on the first day I went looking but I can tell you that after two stores, I couldn't have done any more. My biggest recommendation would be to make an appointment in the morning, have a light lunch and do a little relaxing, then make one more appointment in the afternoon. If it takes a few days, that's OKAY. Just don't rush the process, it will be much more enjoyable if you relax.

6. Find little things here and there to invite your wedding party to. I have 8 bridesmaids, which is quite a few and certainly too many to bring to dress fittings or hair mockups all at the same time. I know they all want to be involved and are constantly asking if they can help, which is amazing, so I've invited them in pairs or individually to things to make it more personal. For example, a few girls came over to help me stuff envelopes and we went in two groups to go shopping for their dresses.

7. Register for more rather than less. After we registered, my mom gave me some advice that we may not have enough "quality" pieces on there. I really thought it was silly at first, but now I'm so glad we added more. People want to get you nice things that you'll use forever, not ones that you'll only use a few years. And if it all doesn't get purchased, who cares? It's wonderful for people to even give a gift.

8. Don't listen to too much about what others say. People will try to tell you what to do or what not to do, they will tell you what they did and why it was the best, and they'll also warn you not to do what they did. In the end, you're only going to be happy if you choose what's best for you and your fiancé. If you do your research and have a feeling that something is right, then it probably is.

9. Last, remember what the day is really about, a MARRIAGE. Over the last 9 months I have had moments where I have completely forgotten what this is all about. In the end, the shade of pink in your flowers are really won't matter and neither will the length of the table cloths. Christian has been so good about reminding me that at the end of this, we will be together forever, and that's what's important.

Just enjoy it ladies, soak in every moment. It will go by so quickly!

xo, Ainslee

No comments:

Post a Comment